Tile and grout can be frustrating to clean and a lot of work!! Let’s be honest, no one likes to scrub for hours to try to grout completely clean and looking brand new. Never fear, there are several different routes that you can take to make sure your floors stay clean, dirt-free, and looking great!
There are several different professional services that are great for cleaning grout and tile. Many of the carpet cleaners in your area will offer this service. If you have a favorite call them and ask them. My favorite is a company in Long Beach, CA near where I live, Long Beach Carpet Cleaners. Check out their site and you can see that they offer many different services including tile and grout cleaning.
The key is to look for a service that will offer high-pressure water combined with vacuum power as well. The water will clean deep within the pores of the tile and grout to lift dirt and debris, and the vacuum function will remove them from the flooring completely. This type of deep cleaning does not harm your floors, and will not use any harmful chemicals that can be found in some traditional cleaners. Plus, with hiring a professional service to clean the tile and grout for you, you don’t have to deal with any of the hassle!
There are some tips that you can keep in mind when you are cleaning your floors on your own. While it may not remove all of the dirt that a professional service could, but there are plenty of ways that you can make sure you are taking the best care of your tile and grout:
- Before mopping, sweeping or vacuuming your floors is important to remove as much dirt as possible. The mop will then be able to lift and remove more dirt from the pores of the tile and grout.
- When mopping and cleaning, make sure to avoid harsh cleaners, like ammonia or anything with an ammonia base. These chemicals are able to remove or break down sealants that may be on your tile/grout, and would do more harm to your floors.
- After mopping, rinse your floors. This will help to remove any and all residue that could be remaining from your cleaners.
- Use caution when moving furniture or heavy objects over tile and grout. Any scrapes or scratches that could result from moving furniture are openings that can easily trap dirt and dust, and result in some discoloration of your flooring.
- Avoid using wax on your tile floors. While it can give the tile a polished, clean look, the wax itself can discolor your tile.
- Make sure spills are cleaned up as quickly as possible in order to prevent discoloration from any possible chemicals in the spilled liquid.
- When cleaning your tile and grout, whether on your own or having a professional handle it for you, it is important to keep in mind which areas experience high traffic, as they will require more attention. Also, if you have pets or kids (or both!) more time may be needed to remove all set-in dirt and stains that may be trapped in the pores of your tile and grout.
Whether you are more into a DIY approach, or would like to hand over the hassle to a professional, there are many options when it comes to keeping your tile and grout looking like new!